2007-09-24

Little hypocritical


Few themes excite organic farmers - and I speak as some who has the honour of belonging to that group - more than news about sustainability.

A few days ago, looking for information about organics, I visited the Wal-Mart site, and was surprised about their new program. This chain is committed to protecting our environment and concerned about "global environmental challenges". It's good news.

Recently, I learnt that large oil companies, whose business fuels global warming, are also starting new renewable energy projects. Only few years ago we had no idea that these companies would lead the renewable energy market. Incredible, and perhaps a little hypocritical.

As I reviewed my diary, I compared Wal-Mart to the large oil companies and I was struck by how much money they are prepared to invest in environmental initiatives. It's good but perhaps hypocritical. I don't know.

However, I'm sure it's necessary that big companies start initiatives like Wal-Wart.
But whether you are a big company CEO or just an employee, I'm sure you don't want to feel like a hypocrite.
I'm sure.

No comments: