2007-09-24

What is Slow Food?


As Wikipedia says (and you surely know):

The Slow Food movement was founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy as a resistance movement to combat fast food and claims to preserve the cultural cuisine and the associated food plants and seeds, domestic animals, and farming within an ecoregion.
This movement, opposed to the culture of Fast Food seeks to encourage the enjoyment of regional produce, traditional foods, which are often grown organically . It aims to defend food and agricultural biodiversity.

I would like to speak in this and future posts, about chefs and restaurants with the cause.
If you are one of them, or you know anybody, I would be grateful for your comments.

Today, I would like to speak about Alice Waters, founder and co-owner of Chez Panisse.
Alice Waters and a group of her friends opened Chez Panisse in a craftsman house in Berkeley.
Waters was a 27-year-old former Montessori teacher from New Jersey. "Great restaurants for me were those little one-star restaurants in France," Waters says.

"That's really what I had in mind. I didn't want a fancy restaurant, although I admired and appreciated them. I just wanted one little restaurant run by the chef, with beautiful flowers in the room and all the food out on the counters, so you could see what they were serving that day.
I wanted a place with a simplicity about it."

Chez Panisse is one of the best restaurants in the world.

On the other hand, Alice has also promoted organic and small farm products heavily in her restaurants, in her books, and in her Edible Schoolyard program in the public schools.

From here, I´m very grateful for her.
Thanks Alice.

No comments: